The Richardson-Saunders House is the newest addition to the Humboldt Museum's campus. This home was originally constructed in 1899 on Railroad Street by W.A. and Phoebe Cumley and is a rare Nevada example of Eastlake architectural style. In 1902 Albert and Annie Pearce Richardson purchased the home from the Cumleys. It remained in the possession of the family until 2005 when Nora Chipman, granddaughter of Albert and Annie Pearce, donated the house to the Humboldt Museum. After several years of anticipation the restored Richardson-Saunders House was opened for tours December 2012.
This spectacular map must surely be among the very earliest ever made of Humboldt County, Nevada. Dating from 1867, it shows Winnemucca, the Humboldt River Valley, Sonoma Range, Hotspring Range, and the "Cottonwood Range," later renamed as the Santa Rosa Range.
The Humboldt Museum's collection from the 20s features stylish shoes and hats, hat boxes, gloves and even a flapper dress! There's also a jewelry box, jewelry and a beautiful Tiffany lamp. This exhibit case was donated to the Humboldt Museum by Grace Duvivier in memory of her family, husband Jack Duvivier, brother Benjamin Etchart and daughter Blanche Duvivier.
This carriage is equipped with shafts from the Deal Buggy Company, of Jonesville, Michigan. It was built in 1897, at the height of the horse-powered era. Just six years later, the first automobiles crossed the United States, and by 1915, the Deal Buggy Company, which specialized in spring and delivery wagons, had closed its doors.
The Humboldt Museum has a substantial collection of Nevada newspapers, dating back to the 19th century and early 20th century. Most of the papers have been compiled into leather-bound volumes, and museum staff have access to a database of article abstracts. This allows them to quickly locate articles about specific people and topics. The staff are ready to assist genealogy and historical research projects, through this resource. Click the "read more" link for a partial listing of the museum's early newspaper assets.
This church was built in 1907 at 5th and Lay Streets. in 1909 it was moved to Fourth and Lay Streets, (the current location of Wells Fargo Bank), where it served as St. Mary's Episcopal Church for many years. There was even a swimming pool in the back of the lot. The lot was sold and the former church was moved to the Museum campus in 1976, where it served as the Museum's main building until 1985. Currently, the structure serves as a location for meetings, presentations, art shows, musical & theatrical performances, book signings, etc. The fully finished basement provides storage for some of the Museum's newspaper collection.
Occasionally the building is rented out for weddings and private parties. Ask Museum staff for details.
Sarah Winnemucca, daughter of Chief Winnemucca of the Paiute, was born in 1844 near Humboldt Lake, NV. Sarah became a very well-educated woman and spokesperson for her people. In 2005, a statue of her by sculptor Fredrich Victory was added to the National Statuary Hall Collection in the U.S. Capitol.
George S. Nixon made his home in Winnemucca where he organized the First National Bank in 1886 and was a U.S. Senator from Nevada. In 1908 he built and donated the Nixon Opera House to the City of Winnemucca as a parting gift to his home city.
This antique cut glass display originates from the brilliant period, 1880 through 1929, and was acquired by local resident Sunny Johnson's great grandmothers, Emma Breithaupt and Alice Hoag. The exquisite cut glass, no longer being made of this quality, is on loan by the Johnson family of Winnemucca.
The Humboldt Museum has an extensive collection of advertisements, playbills, posters, and other ephemera from performances and events staged at the Nixon Opera House. Also known as "Nixon Hall," the beautiful two-story theater was built in 1907, with financing from George Nixon.
The Greinstein Display Building was originally constructed in the 1880's. It served as the Nevada Hide and Junk Company as well as a residence before being donated to the Humboldt Museum in the 1970's. For several years the structure housed the Humboldt Museum's thrift shop. Today, the Greinstein Display Building is home to three scenes of days gone by.
The Humboldt Museum has a collection of Edna Purviance memorability, including several photos, one of her dresses, several Charlie Chaplin dolls, and a can of "Theater Fire." Purviance, who grew up in Paradise Valley and Lovelock, went on to become Charlie Chaplin's regular co-star, during the era of silent pictures.
Catalina (Sanchez) See Nelson, known as Grandma Nelson, when she owned the Arcade Restaurant on Lower Bridge Street in the early 1900s. She befriended a young George Wingfield in Winnemucca before he became a political force in the State of Nevada.
During the turn-of-the-century build-out of telephone infrastructure, Winnemucca became a hub of telephone switching stations. The Humboldt Museum displays a switchboard from the hey-day of telephone operators. Click the "read more" link to learn more.
Nixon Opera House ("Nixon Hall") was built in 1907, and burned down in 1992. It was financed by George S. Nixon, a local banker who went on to serve in the U.S. Senate. When Nixon died, his widow Kate tried unsuccessfully to reclaim the property from the City. The arsonist or arsonists who destroyed it were never brought to justice.
The Humboldt Museum proudly displays a drawing of Winnemucca's Chinatown district, circa 1901-1910. The drawing was made from memory by James R. Chew, when he visited the Museum in the 1970s. Mr. Chew also contributed a detailed description of the places and people shown in the drawing; click "read more" to read Mr. Chew's fascinating description of life in Chinatown just after the turn of the century.
Humboldt Museum's ground floor was completed June 5, 1985. Phase two was finished in 2001. The two-story building houses an automobile collection on the main floor and a variety of collections upstairs. It also houses the Weigand Audio Visual room, gift shop, library and staff office space.
This war bonnet was worn by Lame Deer, leading Minniconjou Sioux chief who was killed by general Nelson Miles' troops at Muddy Creek, Montana, on May 7, 1877, during one last pre-reservation deer hunt. Click the "read more" link to learn how it came to be displayed in the Humboldt Museum.
The Humboldt Canal scheme was designed in 1862 to take water from the Humboldt River for use in generating power for mining and to irrigate land along the canal, but the water disappeared in the sandy soil at Rose Creek Pass. It was to have terminated in Mill City. The project drove much of Winnemucca's early growth.
The Chinese cemetery was established in 1868, north of the Humboldt River in the vicinity of the Humboldt Museum complex. The Chinese picket-fenced their graveyard in the 1880s, but by 1962, all fences had disappeared and the cemetery is no longer there.
1907 Chase truck. Featuring a three-cylinder, two-cycle engine this vehicle was made by the Chase Motor Truck Company of Syracuse, New York. When it had outlived its career as a utility vehicle, a surrey top was added and it was used primarily in parades. And while it hasn't been started in a long time, it was in running condition when the Museum acquired it from the Stoker Collection.